On 26 January 2021, The Commission issued infringement notices to the following six hotel groups and a tour counter operator for facilitating a cartel arrangement between two competing travel service providers, Gray Line Tours of Hong Kong Limited (“Gray Line”) and Tink Labs Limited (“Tink Labs”):-
- China Asia Property Limited, owner and operator of City Garden Hotel;
- Harilela Hotels Limited, owner of Holiday Inn Golden Mile;
- Holiday Inns Crowne Plaza (Hong Kong) Inc., operator of Holiday Inn Golden Mile;
- Imperial Tours Limited, tour counter operator inside the premises of Holiday Inn Golden Mile;
- Hotel Panorama Company Limited, owner and operator of the former Hotel Panorama;
- The Hongkong Hotel Limited, The Marco Polo Hotel (Hong Kong) Limited, The Prince Hotel Limited and Wharf Hotels Management Limited, owners and operator of the Marco Polo Hongkong Hotel, Marco Polo Gateway and Marco Polo Prince respectively; and
- Royal Plaza Hotel Management Limited, Leverson Limited and Royal Park Hotel Management Limited, operators of Royal Plaza Hotel, Royal View Hotel and Royal Park Hotel respectively (collectively, “Recipients”).
The Commission found that between 2016 and 2017, Gray Line and Tink Labs agreed to fix prices at which tourist attractions and transportation tickets were sold at various hotels in Hong Kong, including those operated by the Recipients . The Recipients acted as facilitators by passing on pricing information between Gray Line and Tink Labs.
In the infringement notices, each of the Recipients admitted that they had contravened section 6(1) of the Ordinance and committed to take concrete measures to effectively enhance competition compliance within their respective businesses.
The Press Release can be found here.